Goals for 2018
Here I am, standing on top of this bandwagon I swore and promised myself I'd never step foot on. It seems like nowadays everyone is doing New Years' resolutions -- and with good reason. However, at the same time, it seems like almost everyone allows those same resolutions to get swept away with that bitter January wind.
If I'm being honest with myself -- and with you, I'd say that I don't ever do New Years' resolutions because I don't want to feel the guilt I know will follow when I don't stick with them. You know those resolutions... the ones you make where you say
- No more toxic people in 2018! I'm only hanging out with positive people!
- No more poor eating habits in 2018 - I'm going to eat kale every single day for every single meal in 2018!!!
- I'm going to work out every single day and drink green juice every single morning in 2018!!!!!!!!!!!
I don't know one person in my life who has truly ever stuck with their resolutions all the way through. Dang, I sound like I'm bashing on everyone I know. I promise I'm not and I promise I have a point!
This year, I want to better myself. I think everyone who creates resolutions has that same goal, or end result in mind. That's an amazing mindset to have. But a lot of times, instead of having an overall picture, we pinpoint one or two little things that we think will get us to that place we want to be. I think having a generalized idea and then coming up with attainable goals is much more rewarding.
So, without further ado, or further bashing on New Years' resolutions, here are my goals for myself for 2018.
01. FINANCES - Unfortunately, if I'm just being completely transparent, being good with my money just doesn't come naturally for me. (Does it for anyone...?) I like to spend. I don't like to save. I think fifteen year old Taylor still lives somewhere inside me and that version of me loves to shop. However, I know that it's not a smart or mature place to be. This year, I'm working on paying off my debt and coming up with a legitimate savings account. I've been reading Dave Ramsey's book and really trying to soak it all in. He says "If you can live like no one else, later you can live like no one else." Let that sink in. You're welcome.
02. HEALTH - Holiday eating started in October for me, and it never really came with an end-date. Even today, I ate Burger King. BURGER. KING. If you know me, you'll know why that's such a big deal. Ever since I graduated from college, I've tried to make a conscious effort to eat healthy and put good things into my body. But the holidays have not helped and my water intake (or the lack thereof) has been almost embarrassing. This year, I want to come up with a real lifestyle change that works for me. Do I want to do gluten free, sugar free? Do I want to go dairy free? These are questions I've been asking myself. But either way, something needs to change. Whatever I decide to do, I'm sure I'll write a blog post about that.
03. PRAYER LIFE - If you aren't a religious person, this might possibly be a little difficult to understand. But my relationship with God and my prayer life mean a lot to me. It's so easy, as I've gotten busier, to just push it off to the back burner. This year, I want to be intentional about my prayer life, intentional about reading the Word, and intentional about consecrating myself. If I'm not intentional about it, it won't get done.
04. ORGANIZATION - Although I'm not quite sure I'll ever be able to fully embrace a minimalist lifestyle, I'd love to be able to get rid of a ton of stuff this year. I was looking around my room the other day and I was just thinking about how much stuff I really have. It's almost embarrassing -- and a lot of that stuff I don't ever use or wear anymore. If you are like me but have actually overcome The Curse of Having Too Much Stuff, and could impart some wisdom to me, leave a comment below -- please! :)
05. BE MORE PRESENT - This year, I want to truly be present for my life. One of my biggest pet peeves, yet something I am completely guilty of, is being on my phone when I'm with people. It's so easy to check Facebook or respond to a text message during a dinner, or want to Insta-snap every single detail of your life (which, lets be real, no one really cares...), or just sensing the need to check your phone ever 4 minutes to see if someone text you back. I've decided I really don't want to live my life that way, and I'm hoping if I can make a change in my life, it'll inspire others to make the same change as well. What do you think?
For now, those are my top 5 main goals for 2018. Of course, within those goals, lays a few mini-goals to help me achieve these goals. (Could I say the word "goals" any more times? - said in the voice of Chandler Bing, naturally.) But for right now, these are the five areas of my life I want to actively work on this year. Let me know in the comment section below what your goals are for 2018! I'd love to hear them and maybe grab some inspiration from you all. xoxo